Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Meatless March Meal #8: Vegetarian Pot Pie

My husband love chicken pot pie. I was going to just make potato pot pie instead, but I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. It wasn't bad. I think I used a little too much liquid, so this is my updated, suggested version.

I think I would give it an 8 out of 10. Maybe better if I make it less liquid-y next time.


Vegetable Pot Pie
{It's hard to see, but we made this on St. Patty's day, so I threw on a little tribute to that}


Ingredients }} preheat to 400 degrees }} prep time: 30 minutes }} cook time: 20-30
1 T butter
6 C vegetables {I used red peppers, tomatoes, spinach, onions, and zucchini}
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 C flour
1 1/2 - 2 C warm vegetable stock {the original recipe says 3 C, but that was way too much}
1/2 t Thyme
Salt & pepper
Pie Crust {I use the Pillsbury stuff}

1. Dice all your vegetables into small bite size pieces (or smaller). Heat a skillet and stick the butter on there to melt.





2. Then toss in all your vegetables and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes.



3. Sprinkle on the flour and stir it in for two minutes. Next, slowly pour in the vegetable stock. Stir until it thickens. Just be careful not to pour in too much liquid.


4. Pour your vegetable mixture into the pie crust and bake at 400 degree F for 20-30 minutes or till the crust is browned. And make sure you poke some decorative holes on the top {okay, they're not just decorative, you need the holes}.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment