Saturday, March 24, 2012

Meatless March Meal #11: Shepherd's Pie

Okay, so this dish might not win any beauty pageants, but my husband LOVED it! He gave it a 9 out of 10. {Just FYI, this scale is based on meals this month, not food in general, so maybe in real life it's like a 7ish.} I thought it was okay. I probably would have liked it better if it didn't have kidney beans {I learned that I don't really like kidney beans all too much}.

Also, it's a pretty straight forward recipe. {Original recipe found here.}


Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie


Ingredients: }} prep & cook time: 25 minutes }} bake time: 15 minutes
Olive oil
1 med. carrot, coined
1 med. onion, chopped
Celery {optional: I don't like cooked celery, so I omitted it}
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can kidney beans, drained {you may consider using black beans if you're not a fan of kidney beans}
1 can diced tomatoes {I used Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes again, super bueno}
1/2 c frozen corn
1/2 c frozen peas
1-2 c vegetable broth
1/4 c flour
3-4 c mashed potatoes {we used leftovers from our Rosemary-garlic mashed potatoes}
Shredded cheese


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil {about 1 T} in a skillet. Add carrots and saute until soft. Next, add onions and garlic. Saute until soft and smelling yummy.



2. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, peas, and broth. I know the recommendation on the amount of broth to add is vague, but I would suggest adding a little bit at a time until it's a little bit more liquid-y than desired consistency. The original recipe calls for 2 cups, but I thought that was a bit much. Cook until peas and corn are cooked.


3. Mix some water with your flour until it's a "smooth paste." I took this to mean, not too thick, but not too runny. {I know the picture kind of looks like baby spit up, but I promise it's just water and flour!} Pour the flour mixture into the skillet to make your "gravy." Stir it in until it reaches desired thickness.


4. Pour your mixture into a 9x9 pan {or 13x9 if you like}, and spread the mashed potatoes over the top {that's the hard part, but you can do it!}. Sprinkle some paprika on top for a nice garnish {as you can see, the garnish did nothing for this ugly dish, but at least it tasted good!}


5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until mixture is bubbling {underneath the potatoes}. Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment