Friday, March 9, 2012

Meatless March Meal #4: Stuffed Green Peppers

I decided that for this month of meatlessness, I didn't want boring recipes (like pasta & sauce without meat). I want to add to my arsenal of recipes! And I want them to be good. This one was quite good, albeit slightly messy {if you're like my and incapable of making things look cute}.

If you've never had stuffed peppers before, I would highly recommend making some! It was super easy to make. It took about an hour (including pre-prep, prep, and cook time), so not too long either! Plus, it's super tasty!

I'd give it a 9 out of 10. It was pretty easy to make overall as well. If you want the link to the original recipe, check it out here.



Stuffed Green Peppers

{mmmm....you know that looks good}

Ingredients {2-4 servings} Total time: ~1 hr {including pre-prep, prep, & cook times}
1 C water
1 C white rice cooked {original recipe calls for Arborio rice, I used white rice and it turned out great}
2 green peppers, halfed and seeded {preferably the ones with four bumps on the bottom--those are better for cooking}
2 green onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 T olive oil
1 t dried basil
1 t Italian seasoning
1/2 C feta cheese {optional, in my case at least}
Salt
Pepper


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place your halfed and seeded green peppers, face down on a greased baking sheet {made that mistake}, and bake for 25-30 minutes. {If your rice isn't cooked, now would be a good time to start that too!}


2. In a medium saucepan, saute oil, green onion, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper for a couple minutes. Then add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.



3. About now, your rice should be finishing {give or take}; Spoon in the cooked rice and continue to cook until heated through.


4. Take your cooked peppers out of the oven and spoon your newly made filling inside. {If you wanted feta cheese, add it before you spoon the filling into the peppers. Also, pop it back in the oven for an extra 5 minutes or so to cook that cheese.}


5. Eat and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks delicious. I might have to make that this week. Great meeting you at TxSC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are surprisingly easy and super tasty {okay, I'll admit my husband thought they were a bit bland-ish...must be the feta cheese, but I loved them}. And it was great meeting you at TxSC too! Your blog is super cute! Love the design

      Delete