Friday, March 23, 2012

Meatless March Meal #10: Black Bean & Rice Skillet

Man, I am behind on these posts! I will have to post a couple a day to catch up. But here's a dish we had a couple days ago. I actually thought it was really good and would definitely make this one again. Jordan gave it an 8 out of 10. I think I would give it a 9 at least. But I really like black beans :)

Plus, this one is super easy and quick to make. {Original recipe found here. My recipe is slightly different since I don't like instant rice}

Black Bean & Rice Skillet

Ingredients:}} prep time: 15-20 minutes }} cook time: 10 minutes
1 med Zucchini (or Yellow Squash. Remember how we made that grilled zucchini? Yeah, we I forgot to save one for this dinner...oops :) The yellow squash was just as good though}
1 green pepper
1 can (16 oz) black beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes {The original recipe calls for Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, and I would recommend them! They were very good}
1 c white rice, cooked
1/2 c shredded cheese {we used a Mexican blend because that's what we had, cheddar, Monterrey Jack, or any white/yellow cheese blend would probably be good}


1. Cut zucchini {or yellow squash} and green peppers into small, bite-size pieces. Put 1 T into a skillet and heat. Add zucchini {or yellow squash} and green peppers when the oil is heated. Saute the squash and green peppers for about 5 minutes, continually stirring. {Now would also be a good time to start cooking your rice if you're like most people and don't happen to have precooked rice lying around.}


2. Add the beans and diced tomatoes {I wouldn't recommend draining the tomatoes, I think they add a nice flavor}. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, continually stirring.


3. Add rice and stir it in. Add cheese and stir until melted. Eat and enjoy!

And voila! You have yourself a super yummy, vegetarian dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment